English and French
Current Time in Ottawa
OverviewOne of the largest countries in the world, Canada occupies a unique position as a cultural bridge between the old world and the new. Home to several different indigenous groups, Canada was colonized by both the French and English and has received a significant amount of its own cultural identity from both countries. A major world power and one of the most economically successful countries in the western hemisphere, it stands as one of the few nations in the western world to have peacefully transitioned from a colonial holding to an independent power in its own right.
Quick Facts about Canada
- Canada and the United States share both the world's longest border and the world's longest undefended border boundary.
- Canada is the most educated country in the world, as over half of its residents have some form of a college education.
- At 151,600 miles, the Trans-Canada Highway #1 is the longest highway in the world.
- Canada has more lakes within its borders than there are lakes outside of its borders.
- The word Canada means 'Village' in the Iroquois language.